Saturday, May 2, 2009

justified

I went to Target this morning to purchase toilet paper and left with much more than just bathroom tissue. Over 100$ later- I do buy Charmin, but not even Ultra Soft toilet paper is going to run a bill up that high on its own- I returned home with movies, magazines, mothers day cards, mousse, and a bottle of lotion that promises to cut down on my need to shave my legs AND gradually create a tanner, more summery me. These purchases were all necessary, I just did not know it until I agreed to pay for them. At that moment, my brain went into "make it work" mode, as do all women's brains in the checkout line at Target, I assume. 

Here's how I have made it work: 

Movies: I purchased Bride Wars and the Sex and the City movie. Both were on sale, both are uplifting cheerful movies about having friends. Both involve weddings, but that's really the least relevant similarity. I NEED these two movies, because I NEED my friends. And, sometimes friends are far away, or busy, or unreachable. In those times, I will need proxy-friends, and these films will give me that peace of mind. These inexpensive metallic discs will be able to bring me a sense of fulfillment and self worth that, really, nothing else will be able to confer at that moment. 30$ is a small price to pay for that kind of personal enrichment. I'd have been a fool not to purchase them. A fool. 

Magazines: I have been out of the dating market for a long long time. I am behind on how people dress, how they communicate, how to start a conversation on a first date (how to get a first date...). I purchased Cosmopolitan with hopes that by the end of the magazine I, too, will know 'how to keep love strong when life gets crazy' and how to have my 'sexiest summer'. I need these things to make me vital and sure of myself before I reemerge onto the dating scene. In a similar vein, I also purchased People magazines "100 Most Beautiful" double issue. Two reasons: 1. Some of these people are not beautiful for their looks, but for their accomplishments. I need their strength to keep me going through my bad hair days. I need to know that not only my mother can think I'm beautiful, but that People Magazine can appreciate me even though I'm not a celebrity. 2. This issue boasts a tribute column to Bea Arthur, and in memory of that Golden Girl, I believe this magazine will be a treasure to me in hard times for years to come. Magazines were needed, for my sanity and self esteem. 10$ well spent. 

Mother's Day Cards: These are simply essential. Mothers are the most important people in the world, and so they deserve the very best. One for my grandma, two for my mom, because I couldn't decide on just one. She deserves the very best. These are selfless purchases, and they were very necessary. 

Mousse: I am out of mousse. I don't think this requires much justification. 

Lotion: Requires less justification. Reduces my needs to shave, and tans me? This lotion is an investment. It will save me money on razor blades because they won't be going dull as quickly since I will be shaving less. Additionally, and really most important, the lotion will gradually build a natural looking tan, saving me from skin damage, premature aging, and the risk of cancer. Can we argue with that? No. Definitely not. Because I said cancer. So, lotion, necessary. 

The toilet paper though... I'm not sure how necessary that was. 
L

No comments:

Post a Comment