Monday, April 6, 2009

suddenly, sun!

"That's the true harbinger of spring, not crocuses or swallows returning to Capistrano, but the sound of a bat on a ball."
- Bill Veeck



Happy Opening Day 2009! 



Today is one of the best days of 2009 thus far. Not because I woke up on the right side of the bed, not because I made it to class on time, and not because the weather man was wrong about the rain. Today is an amazing day because today is opening day. 


To celebrate, I purchased my ticket for a game in the Giants home opening series. This will be the first year that I haven't gone with R, but she will be going to the Dodgers opening series without me, so we will both be getting our annual opening day fix. We are going to the stadiums of each of our rival teams, when they are not playing a team we favor, for the love of the game. 

There are so few things that I love so unconditionally. Even when my team is losing, I still want to watch the game. Granted, I am less interested if I have no team preference, but the crack of the bat as it swings and hits that ball, that heavenly sound, doesn't change based on the team hitting it. It always sounds like sunshine, like freedom, like the best day of your life. Every time. 
Ah... 

So, no matter how bad your day is going, it should pick up right now. Baseball has begun! And we will all be happy until the fall. 

Go LA! 

1 comment: