Wednesday, April 8, 2009

fairy tales

Those who are unlucky in love have told me that fairy tales don't come true. In fact, those who seem to have enjoyed love at one point and have become more cynical have told me that fairy tales don't come true. I've been told to stop believing in a happy ending. No love story. 
No fun. 

Oddly enough, though my heart is still shattered into a million pieces, one song that is pulling me through the difficult mornings is (don't laugh...) Taylor Swift's 'Love Song'. [The song is about a girl and a boy and their rather fairy tale romance, including a love conquers all theme with a happy ending.] 

I completely understand why I've been told to give up on the fairy tale. It is imaginary. No prince is going to ride his white horse up to my office and carry me away as soon as I finish grading these quizzes. No talking squirrels or mice are going to help me out if I'm in a bad position. But who's to say that there will be no happy ending? 

Most love songs right now make sick. Literally sick. But this song is not nauseating, it is a reminder that I don't have to give in to this disenchantment! Why keep going if there is no chance at a happily ever after? Why bother ever trying again? What would be the point of anything? 

So today I am shouting from the rooftops- or out my 2nd floor office window- Do Not Give Up On Fairy Tales. They may not really come right in the nick of time, they may not be Disney-caliber, and they may never live up to your expectations, but does anything? Don't take out your cynicism on stories about happier people. They are imaginary people, and they are truly sorry if they've bummed you out. But let them be happy, and do your darnedest to share in their joy- not because you feel it too, but because you know that the other option is to be miserable. (And I've been miserable, so trust me on this. Believing in mice who can sew is a much better option.) 

If you still don't want to believe, then keep it to yourself. Let me be delusional. Let me pretend there is a happier place out there. 
I'll believe enough for the both of us. 
L

1 comment: