Wednesday, April 22, 2009

just bend the pieces till they fit

Maybe a new take on an old lyric is in order. This seems the right place to discuss it. 

Dashboard Confessional's 'Ghost of a Good Thing' 
The lyric is as follows: 
"Just bend the pieces till they fit 
Like they were made for it 
But they weren't meant for this."

Usually, I think this is horribly sad song about a love that just doesn't fit anymore, that just doesn't work the way it should. You cannot jam a puzzle piece into a hole it isn't made for. (You can, but your puzzle won't look right, and you'll have a hole somewhere else. Just a bad idea, really.) 
Now, lets look with new eyes. To do this, I need to ignore the entire rest of the song. (Doable, cos I'm a on a mission.) Is it possible that maybe these are 3 lines about making the upside seem right? Make believe that the missing piece of the puzzle is happiness. You have a piece, it isn't happiness, but if you smash it into the hole, you can have happiness, you can fill that hole**! Kind of a "fake it till you feel it" approach to the living on the sunny side.

While I can see that I'm being a tiny TINY bit irrational, and maybe also a tiny bit illogical, rewriting the meanings of sad songs to make happy songs seems like a completely acceptable practice. I challenge everyone in the world to make sad songs happy- at least one a day- for the rest of the week. If I can do it in my unstable mental state, you sure as hell can as well! 
Get to it, minions. 


(**So much thats what she said. I apologize.) 

1 comment: