Saturday, November 13, 2010

prepare for the let down

Wanna feel bad about yourself?
No?
How about feel great for 20 minutes, pumped, excited, invigorated, psyched about all the potential there is in the world and your future?
Yes!
Okay. That followed by feeling bad about yourself?
Eh, sure.
GO TO THE MOVIES.

It is entirely too common for me to leave a movie theater feeling unbelievably good about life. I call my mom and thank her for being so amazing. I call friends and tell them how awesome I think they are and how much fun I have with them. I promise myself I will finish my projects. I promise other people that I will finish projects. Not by some future deadline, no, I will do it today! I'm on it! I'm feeling GREAT about life!
And then I get home, sit in front of the TV, and realize that the chick in the movie did amazing things in a 2 hour time span, and in the next 2 hours all I will accomplish is maybe finishing what's left of my movie-large diet coke.

Moral of this story is don't get too sucked into the movie-excitement. They play those songs that get you feeling feelings and promising promises, and dammit, you didn't make $200,000 like the chick on screen did. You paid at least $5.50. Enjoy the psych, but save some diet coke for the let down. It's hard to handle both losing your sense of impending accomplishment and running out of soda.

Trust me. I promise.
L

No comments:

Post a Comment