Sunday, November 7, 2010

if, then

I had a conversation with someone at work the other day about girls who feel the need to check their man's text messages. My overall feeling is that if you need to check their texts, there is no trust, and the relationship is over. Done and done.

In high school, I checked texts. I moderated phone calls. I was that girl. 
And that relationship ended in a long, drawn out, overly public, powerfully painful way. My ignorance to the importance of trust led me into years of crying myself to sleep-- which led to some really excellent writing, but thats another discussion. 

With J, I did not check texts. I was suspicious once, and that passed. Trust prevailed.
And that relationship ended in one quick blow followed by 2 uncomfortable weeks of packing and uncertainty. We were a rock in the trust category, but it still ended up down the drain. (Interesting that our break up took place in a bathroom? I don't think I've ever fully thought about how funny that location choice really is.) 

Checking a text on C's phone is what ended our official relationship. It would have ended no matter what I found; the fact that I worried enough to check was reason enough to end it. But I found something I didn't want to. 
And that relationship officially ended in a splash of tears. Yes, we dragged out the together-not together saga for a year after, but the titles on the relationship dropped that night. If I don't trust you, there can't be any title that says I do.

So far we've learned that whether or not I check texts, the relationship ends. As a general rule, the relationship lasts longer when I do not check texts. Trust is a solid foundation. 

And now I'm in the beginning of a situation: Tonight, just for a minute, I wanted to check. I didn't, and I'm not going to; nothing is that important. But I worry that there is something there. I worry because I know for a fact that I sent him texts at one point that were a worry for someone else. And if my texts were reciprocated then, what's stopping him from answering someone else's similarly relationship-threatening texts now? 
If once, then always. 
Once, always. 

Done and done. 
L

1 comment:

  1. i've had that urge, and i've... let's call it "glanced", and what i found was nothing hurtful. and of course that's the case... he loves me. i know this. and yet, we have that urge...

    i feel like the lack of trust doesn't lie in the relationship, but in ourselves... trusting that we can actually deserve something that will work. because for some reason, i've always had a hard time believing that. and still, i think, how can i be so lucky? i don't get it! but i have to trust that i am. and from the day i decided to stop settling with jerks.. i was trusting the fact that "there are good people in the world." and "there are good guys who can care. and commit." trust, friend! trust.

    ReplyDelete