Thursday, February 11, 2010

starting over

Wall! Finally, I have found it. I hit it tonight! Didn't hurt myself, didn't hurt the wall. Passersby probably didn't even notice that I touched the wall, but I know that I found it.
Since my expectations are set so unbelievably low for C, he doesn't have to do much to surpass them and impress me and make me fall all over again. But I hold a big double standard for men- obviously- in that no other guy can hit any expectation that I have set for them. Every other guy falls miserably short, to the point where I fear I may be alone forever.
It seems that I have only one option left. This option will get rid of C and finish the difficult meeting/dating/dumping cycle I've gotten stuck in! Ready? I don't know that you are... but without further ado, the final frontier:
arranged marriage!

If I pick one, and stick to that one, then I'll have to deal with it no matter what "it" may be! As noted on How I Met Your Mother this week, "free-will gets you constant, ego-shattering uncertainty," which is something I just do not need. An arranged marriage would give me no choices, I'd have to love him, I'd have to appreciate him, and any kind of pre-conceived expectations would be completely irrelevant.
Ok. Thats the plan. Cutest guy I meet this weekend gets to be mine forever, whether we're compatible or not. We'll make it work. I believe in us. Thus begins the great adventure of the only relationship for the rest of my life.
The beginning really is the best part.
L

4 comments:

  1. Oddly enough, I was brought up the idea of arranged marriage to my students in our discussion on ethnocentrism. But, as far as you are concerned, I think you might have had just a bit too much to drink - which, ironically enough, might be the key ingredient for such a plan to succeed.

    I do know this: said cutest guy could do worse. Way. He just doesn't know how lucky he is - yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe we learned this lesson from J-Lo in The Wedding Planner. You will leave him at the altar for Matthew Mcagjekgjiagj

    ReplyDelete
  3. Arranged marriage ... hahahah ... such a savior!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think someone who has been married for a very long time should add to this. Marriage is forever. (at least it should be) Love is intimate, sacred, special. Marriage can give Love. Friendship is laughter, pictures, smiles, sharing, understanding and conquering. Friendship is important. I believe you must have bad days to have good. If you always had good days, you would not even notice special days.

    I say "keep shopping"

    Who ever he is, we each can have him, keep him, love him forever.

    ReplyDelete